Logo

Need Help Identifying evinrude outboard!

Mariodalelio

Hi, I attached some pics of the engine. There are no markings in the engine bracket and I cant figure out what year or hp this is.
Was told it was a 125,

Tried searching for pictures of it everywhere and couldnt identify year or hp.
Thanks1111.jpg222.jpg3333.jpg

A 125 HP model was marketed in 1971 and 1972 and that is what you have !----Yours is the 1971 model with electric shift.-----Do a complete evaluation of this motor before you spend any beer tokens / coins on it.----First thing is a compression test.-----Amazing how many boats / motors are finding new owners during this pandemic time.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
I did a compression this am,
I had 70 in all 4. I couldnt get the flywheel to spin for more than a few seconds though. The starter gear was all chewed up. (the starter looked new but half the teeth were worn near the top).
I ordered a new starter and will throw it in tomorrow.

No, i just need to hunt down a throttle with the switch!

Thank you again for your help

You should be seeing compression of about 120 PSI on this motor.------So do a complete evaluation before you start throwing hard earned $$ at it.----It appears to show signs ( paint discolored ) of over heat.-----More pictures of the cylinder heads?-----You need a control box for electric shift with a big round rubber plug on end of wiring harness.

Last edited:
the gentleman doing the test for me said because its only spinning for 2-3 seconds, i wont see full compression? Dont know too much about the motor end of boating.

Spend money wise is what I am saying.----Owning an older motor is not the best thing money wise if you have to run to a repair shop for every little problem !

Back