Logo

BF30 oil leak

Mbett

I don’t live near my outboard and I was just sent a picture with a pool of oil under it. There weren’t many pics and I can’t tell where it’s coming from. Is this some prop seal failure or something worse. There wasn’t a leak when I left now it looks like something broke loose. 0DD1B282-9218-4541-8C6D-5E16A27DC451.jpeg

My bet would be prop shaft seals from that pic. You could pull the prop to confirm maybe....

I had it sitting in some pretty toxic mix to break down a lot of salt. I wonder if the 20 year old seals gave way. Where it is there are very few people who work on these so I will be researching how to evaluate and repair on my own.

The prop shaft seals are clearly visible with the prop and thrust washer removed. If you see fishing line wadded up in that area, that will pretty much confirm the seals are ruined.

No clue what you had it sitting in. Could that gunk be residue from that process?

The prop shaft seals are clearly visible with the prop and thrust washer removed. If you see fishing line wadded up in that area, that will pretty much confirm the seals are ruined.

No clue what you had it sitting in. Could that gunk be residue from that process?

I was running some descaler in a bucket to clear salt buildup. It looks like from the picture the gunk is running down the skeg. I’ll take a look next week. I just wanted to be prepared since I don’t have a ton of tools out there or a place to really work on it. I guess I could take the LU off and have a shop replace the seals. I can’t really pressure test or anything... It’s at a marina in Long Beach, CA and I don’t live out there.

Before I go down the wrong path, should the hub be full of gear oil? I didn’t drain it first because I’m waiting for drain screw to soak so I can get it loose. I want to make sure this is the prop seal. Otherwise I’m going to take the LU off and have someone do it all.

Back