Logo

Generator on 62 Johnson motor

cws68

OK old motor fans here we go.
I'm putting two batteries in parallel on boat. I was asked if the generator on my 1962 Johnson 40HP motor would be able to handle that.
So here I am asking the experts. These batteries are regular car batteries as well.
Any thoughts on this?

The belt driven generator puts out 10 amps at full throttle.----It depends on what electrical loads you have on the boat.-----Electric shift models must use the generator.----Then there are radios / stereo / fish finders.----Some might look into fitting an alternator from a modern compact car.-----All achievable I say.----No problem having 2 batteries.

The belt driven generator puts out 10 amps at full throttle.----It depends on what electrical loads you have on the boat.-----Electric shift models must use the generator.----Then there are radios / stereo / fish finders.----Some might look into fitting an alternator from a modern compact car.-----All achievable I say.----No problem having 2 batteries.

The only thing besides electric shift is fish finder and the occasional trolling motor.

Electric shift draws about 2 amps when in gear.----Trolling motors draw a lot more.-----Bonus is that the motor itself does not need battery to start and run.----You can use the recoil to start this motor with a dead battery.-----So I would make sure your generator / voltage regulator is in good condition.----Bearings / belt / brushes / contacts in regulator.

Back