Logo

Cooling issue SBC FWC VP 280

So, I took care of my coolant leaks, new engine. Ran the engine for 25 minutes, never came up to temp. My infra red gauge showed 111degrees at thermostat housing, all parts of engine were no higher than 100 degrees. Exhaust elbows were at 95 degrees. Exhaust hoses were running hot, 200 degrees. Heat exchanger was at 110 degrees. Is the heat exchanger leaking into the engine, thereby keeping the engine cool? How do I test this?. Do I take off an end cap on the exchanger and see if there is any antifreeze in there? Also, does it matter where I place the hoses for the hot water heater? I don't remember where I took them off from. I know all the hoses are correct for the exchanger, from pictures. I'm at a loss, never had a non-overheating problem.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Did not say if this was on a hose or in the water...
Heat exchanger usually have an automotive style "radiator cap" for antifreeze check.
What temp rating t'stat is in the engine?

Running on hose, 140 degree t-stat. I do see antifreeze when I take off the "radiator cap. I was asking if maybe the cold hose water was mixing in with the antifreeze.

Thanks,
Richard

Running on hose, 140 degree t-stat. I do see antifreeze when I take off the "radiator cap. I was asking if maybe the cold hose water was mixing in with the antifreeze.

Thanks,
Richard

Typically with "freshwater" cooling, one uses a 160 degree t'stat.
Re mixing of antifreeze and hose... Not likely, if it was, antifreeze would flush out of the system.... To check, use an antifreeze checker available at any autoparts store and verify the "protected to" temp.

Some engines don't get up to temp on a hose..

Concerned that exhaust is that hot... How much water is dumping out of the exhaust port???

Back