Logo

115 Mariner Stall/Restart Problem (1995)

Mark61

Thinking back...This has been a recurring problem for years.
engine will start and run fine.
idles fine/smooth transition from low to high when throttled.
All of a sudden the engine will die, and will not restart leaving me stranded. (Usually at the farthest point from the boat landing)
it has died at idle speeds, as well as running wide open.
the next day it will fire off and run on the trailer like nothing ever happened.
i put it in the lake and run for while and it happens again.
i had this same problem several years ago and brought it to a mechanic shop.
they fiddled with some things, but said they could not duplicate the problem.
it has been doing great until this recent episode.
any Help Appreciated !

See if your engine has the original blue or black stator under the flywheel. Replacements were the red stator with an adapter You can see it without removing the flywheel. They were very problematic and most were replaced. I had exactly the same issue with my twin 1995 115's, shutting off at idle, restart after a minute, shutting off at high speed, waiting an hour, start back up, finally shutting down completely and would not start while on the water, then when i got home, fired up on the flush instantly, of course the stator checked fine after the engine sat! Replaced the stators in both engines with CDI stators and never had the problem again and its been years now.

New CDI Stator installed.
Took it out on the water this morning. Motor started and ran great for about 20 minutes. Was crossing the lake at about 1/2 throttle when it died and wouldn’t restart.
Guess I’m going to have to bring my tool box to the lake...

Back