Logo

1981 Evinrude E15RCIS 15hp Won’t start unless cycled without spark plugs first.

ABlaed

I just purchased a 1981 Evinrude E15RCIS 15hp 2 Stroke outboard engine. The seller performed not one but two cold starts on both the day I looked at it and the day I actually took possession. After it’s first use it developed a starting issue where it won’t start once the engine is cold. However, it will start if this specific procedure is performed exactly. This procedure works every time to get it to start.

• Takeoff the cover and remove the spark plugs
  • Lay the engine face down
  • Pull the cord 15 times to cycle the cylinders
  • Return engine to stand and reinstall spark plugs
  • Pull cord and the engine starts

Once warm the engine will start without issue. I do not believe that I have a cracked head or blown gasket as the engine performs excellent once started. Although I have not done a compression test yet. Perhaps somehow moisture is getting into the cylinders when it cools down and this is preventing it from starting?

This is the only thing that happened after the first use that could have contributed to this issue: after coming back in the boat sat on the shore and the engine stayed out of the water for 15 minutes. I removed the engine from the boat and lay it on it’s throttle side on the grass while I went to grab the stand. The engine lay there for 10 to 15 minutes. I put the engine on the stand in a bucket of water to flush the salt water out of the cooling system. When I pulled the cord it would not start.

(after some research receiving some vague information I’ve become aware that this is very bad for outboard motors and will not do this again)

Has anyone else encountered this or have any ideas?

Stop.----You should not have to go through all that.----Put it on a stand.----Remove 4 wee screws and take top of the air intake silencer.----Pull choke on and verify that flapper is actually closed.----Turn throttle handle to the neutral stop ( ignore the handle start mark)----Start the motor ( water pump fully submerged of course ) or on a boat floating in water.----If it won't start then do some real trouble shooting !

I found a random zip tie lodged in there! It was preventing the choke from closing!

Attachments

• 44AC76CD-00FA-4593-862C-1FD62345D501.jpeg
    44AC76CD-00FA-4593-862C-1FD62345D501.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 13
Back