Logo

1993 OMC Cobra dog clutch drive vs Volvo Penta Cobra cone clutch drive

smpolizzi

Hi all. I'm new here. I've owned since new a late model 1993 Four Winns with the (Ford) 5.8L MPFI OMC Cobra with the dog clutch drive. From what I've read here most parts are not interchangeable with Volvo Penta Cobra drives since the VP units are cone clutch drives. At this time nothing needs repair on my OMC Cobra. Going forward, are OMC original parts still available? I heard that some aftermarket parts are available. One company I've heard of is Sierra. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

OEM parts are preferred, but if not available Sierra works.... make choice on availability, not price difference.

Most service parts like bellows, gimble bearings, u joints, impellers, tune up parts are available in from the OEM (Bombardier, who bought the assets of OMC) and aftermarket. Some parts are hard to find, like the EFI parts and the electronic igntion parts. If you keep after the Cobra it will last a long time. I've had mine almost 20 years and while I've done a lot of repairs on this boat (age, wood rot, upholstery, some engine repairs) the Cobra itself, has been VERY good. Very few repairs, it does get regular maintenance. Nearly 20 years in salt water, not a trailer boat but on a mooring in salt water. Now these can be converted to a Volvo Penta SX, because the transom mounts are very similar, but it can be a bit pricey due to the cost of Volvo parts. However, if you REALLY like that boat, it eliminates the concerns with parts and finding mechanics who can work on them. I do all my own maintenance and have a supply of spare parts I keep on hand and also big items like a spare outdrive and transom mount. Mostly ebay good deals.

Back