Logo

J115ELEUC best spark plug

Scobar

its a 1997 that I owned since 1999, always put the Champion QL78YC spark plugs in.
Is there any reason to change or is there a better plug to use?

thanks
Scott

Sparkplugs generally last a long / long time.----Are you having issues with your motor ?----If so what is your motor doing / not doing ?

low idle is a little rough (about 450 original hours on motor) then around 1500 all good. I did tighten the carbs to the thinking is was a air leak and with all that plastic it couldn't hurt. I got maybe a 1/2 turn on each bolt but really no improvement, gas is about 4 months old but I don't think that is the issue. I run 100% non ethanal gas. I did run the cleaner through it, no difference. I understand the time a plug lasts, but its a cheap fix maybe, thanks

Carburetor bowls are known to warp.------Perhaps low speed mixture needles need adjusting.----Compression test and note your values for future reference.----Running with VRO in service?----Thermostats in place and operating properly ?

no compression test, VRO working good and so are thermostats. VRO new last spring. Touching the head near the thermostats I can feel when they open and head is hot, not super hot but pretty warm, you can hold your hand on for a few seconds
Never adjusted low idle speed or had the carburetors off

so I went out today, same type of crappy idle, wouldn't stall but you could tell its not running right, over 1500 or so runs great, except the primmer bulb now goes soft and it will stall if you don't keep it pumped up, so I had the first mate (lol) sit back there and keep the primer bulb pumped, what causes that?
thanks

You have to be very careful if you have your assistant operating the manual fuel pump.----As in is it mixing the correct amount of oil when you do that??----What other trouble shooting have you done.----The fuel pump operates with pressure pulses from crankcase.----There could be issues there.----There could be issues with the fuel tank pick-up tube / hoses.-----I suggest you post the compression test values here.

so I went out today, same type of crappy idle, wouldn't stall but you could tell its not running right, over 1500 or so runs great, except the primmer bulb now goes soft and it will stall if you don't keep it pumped up, so I had the first mate (lol) sit back there and keep the primer bulb pumped, what causes that?
thanks

I would think there is a restriction in the fuel pick up from the tank or the tank vent restricted or not open fully

Last year I installed a water separator filter with one inlet from the fuel tank and 2 out, one to my main motor and one to my trolling motor. The little motor runs fine all day trolling, big motor not so much. Do I need to have a shut in line on the fuel lines to each motor?

Last year I installed a water separator filter with one inlet from the fuel tank and 2 out, one to my main motor and one to my trolling motor. The little motor runs fine all day trolling, big motor not so much. Do I need to have a shut in line on the fuel lines to each motor?

Try disconnecting the fuel hose from the trolling motor and see if that sorts things out. The fuel line connector should stop air entering.

disconnected the little motor fuel line from the engine, running (big motor) on muffs the primer bulb still gets softer but big motor continued running. being on muffs I didn't want to bring the RPM over 2000. Not sure what to look for next. Under load on the water the primer bulb gets soft and motor stalls out, pump it up and starts right up.
The fuel lines from the tank to the water separator and then to the motors are new last year.
It appears all lines to VRO are in good shape

Last edited:
disconnected the little motor fuel line from the engine, running (big motor) on muffs the primer bulb still gets softer but big motor continued running. being on muffs I didn't want to bring the RPM over 2000. Not sure what to look for next. Under load on the water the primer bulb gets soft and motor stalls out, pump it up and starts right up.
The fuel lines from the tank to the water separator and then to the motors are new last year.
It appears all lines to VRO are in good shape

The bulb won't stay hard when the motor is running but if it feels softer than it does when resting it suggests a restriction in the fuel pick up from the tank ( or the tank not venting )

If you can keep the motor running by pumping the bulb it suggests an air leak somewhere between the pick up in the tank and the VRO pump. Or a defective pump.

If there is a fuel flow retraction it may well make a small air leak worse

the water separator is new last year, going to check to make sure the filter is tight and will check all other lines to the VRO which is also new with a OEM VRO last year.

Back