Logo

Replace mechanical fuel pump or keep electric on Mercruiser 170?

OldThompson

Hello,
I have a 1986 Mercruiser 170, 3.7. I just got it this winter and haven't run it yet. The fuel fill and supply hoses were all very old and leaking. I've already replaced the fill hose to the tank and breather hose. Now I'm working on replacing the fuel supply hoses to the fuel pump(s). Turns out that the original mechanical pump is still on the engine and that an electric fuel pump and filter was installed in the fuel hose between the tank and mechanical pump. I assume the mechanical pump went bad at some time and so someone replaced it with the electric and just kept pumping fuel right through the mechanical pump. I pulled the filter cup off the bottom of the old mechanical pump and it appears dried out with considerable corrosion in there.

I'm trying to decide if I should just keep things the way they are or should I go ahead and replace the mechanical pump and eliminate the electric one?
Thanks

If the replacement electric pump is a marine pump and is properly wired through and oil pressure switch id leave it. If its scabbed in replace with a mechanical pump. Id suspect that some one just bought a cheaper universal fit automotive pump

OK, thanks to both of you. I'm going to try going back to the mechanical fuel pump. This site lists two Sierra pumps as replacements but it's unclear which is the right one for my engine. These both come up for my engine serial number: a528075
18-7282 - Fuel Pump, 8M0073435, See Detail Page for Important Info [ More info ]
18-35437 - Fuel Pump 861676A1 [ More info ]

Also, should I install a fuel filter inline between the gas tank and fuel pump, or is the filter in the fuel pump good enough?
Thanks

In the description it mentions some detail about port location makes it sound like it wont fit all years with out fuel line mods.

My 3.0 ran fine for 25 years with just the filter on the fuel pump.

Back