Logo

BF30D LRTA water in oil (fresh water)

Criboats

Hey gang

I've got a BF30 with water in the oil. I've drained the oil (or rather the milkshake) and pulled the cylinder head cover off to start managing this.
In doing my research everyone says to pull the thermostat first and mine has, what I would call, a lot of corrosion on it. I've already ordered a new one along with the housing and the gasket.

While I'm already elbow deep in this engine, is there anything else I should inspect to see if the water is getting in elsewhere?
Also is there an easier way to flush out this old oil? Coming at it with a rag and a tiny rubber spatula.

If one of these is overheated, as in run with a toasted water pump impeller, or possibly (sand) restricted cooling passages, the head gasket is often cooked to the point it will allow water into the oil.

Replacing the head gasket would be my first step. While it's down, a close visual inspection of the water passages within the head is possible - and highly recommended.

Get a manual for the head gasket replacement procedure. You'll see why. Not the most difficult procedure, but it is a bit different if you haven't had the pleasure....

Back