Logo

2005 Johnson 150 (J150PLSOE) will not pass 5MPH. See Video!

seapony305

I have a 2005 Johnson 150 (J150PLSOE). Took it out for a spin and everything was running great until it loss power. Engine never dies out and only gives the issue in the linked video of not passing 5 mph or 2300 RPMs. Does not appear to be SLOW system.

LINK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCjwiCRRw7A

When the issue first happened I did check the fuel and noticed that I never changed a inline fuel/water( installed by old owner ) filter that was hidden out of view. when I drew fuel after the filter it was milky yellow in color. but the tank fuel is ethanol free clear gas. I pulled out 45 gallons to check for any water in the tank and I could not find any other fuel with the issues again after I changed the filter.

Items I have changed or checked and still cant get it to run:

-Power Pack , coils, spark-plugs and optic sensor replaced ( CDI Package)
-Had carbs cleaned by a mobile mec and had pressure checked (105 PSI in the pistons)
-Fuel/water filter changed
-Fuel lines going to engine checked and new some lines updated. 50 gallons of fuel pulled out and checked for water. No Water in thank. good pressure on the hand bulb
-Temp sensors checked. Does not appear to be in SLOW or stuck on SLOW. Grounding temp senior gives me a red warning light. All light turn on during self test at start. Resistance checks on temp sensors and wiring appear within range.
-Placed a block under the prop and hand tighten prop lug to see if bushing was still good. The check line I drew did not move.
-I did notice some fuel came out of the vapor assy when I over pumped the hand bulb once in the beginning. The mec told me that was fine and it was made that way to release pressure.'

I just installed a new VRO (Fuel/oil pump) a few minutes ago and tested it in a large bucket of water, Engine still does not sound strong when I rev it up. Still sounds like the video.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? Maybe I missed something. My next step is to set it on fire at this point.

Running on 3 cylinders ?---Check the shift switch.

I tested the shift switch with the multimeter resistance and this what I got:

shifter at neutral: No continuity "OL"

Push down switch by hand: audible tone and resistance at 002

shifter lever pushed forward: No continuity or audible tone on the meter.

what do you think? is the shift switch an always open or always closed switch when not switching into gears?

It is normally OPEN and momentarily shuts of 3 cylinders during the shifting process.-----Do you have spark on all six leads all the time.---Perhaps run with a timing light one lead at a time and observe action of spark.

Do these have a rev-limiter or torque sensor? I kind of doubt it, but if it does, could it be a sheer pin?
Yes, no and no..
Disconnect the shift switch and retest. Need to test spark also as its not running on all 6 cylinders. Rev limiter not activated till 6800 RPM and it doesnt look to be in SLOW mode as not shaking.

Back