Logo

1982 Mercury 2 stroke 25HP symptoms like spun hub, but brand new prop has same issue

shaner

Hello,
I have a 15ft zodiac SIB that I power with this motor and I need help diagnosing the problem. We were on the water going 21mph over some small waves and all of a sudden the boat started decelerating without a change in tiller position. We were able to putt back to the dock at about 3mph but anything more and the engine revved up but the boat stopped moving. The engine began to shake a little when this happened as well. We assumed we had a spun prop so we replaced it and took it to the harbor to test it. It moved a little faster at about 5mph, but any more throttle and it revved up, slowed down, and shook a little same as before.

This is my first boat and outboard engine. I am pretty mechanically competent and have worked on cars and motorcycles throughout my life, but never outboards. I have the repair manual, so I can look up how to fix whatever the problem is. I need help identifying what I need to repair or replace.

Any suggestions? Is there any more info I should provide?

Back