Logo

1990 90 "rebuild"

Jay1234

Regular Contributor
Hey guys,

Figured I'd start a new thread for this part,

My list of items for the rebuild is as follows;

-factory service manual
-4 piston kits (block is being bored 030)
-powerhead gasket set
-water diverters
-carb kits
-new connecting rod bolts
-all proper recommended sealants and lubricants
-water pump kit (oe) was replaced at start of season
-test thermostats

Am I missing anything here? Any further recommendations?

Engine looked clean inside. I run stabil all year but will start also using an additive that prevents carbon.

I run Pennzoil synthetic but am also considering to switching to the Evinrude XD50.

I'm draining built in fuel tank and refilling. Just out of paranoia. Nothing points to any sort of overheat or fuel issue, and I run a 90gph separator.

VRO was removed from this engine long ago.

Wrist pin bearings was the only thing I was up in the air about. Probably should do them as well?

Thanks

Last edited:
Everything but the 030 pistons. They're not available.
I messaged the seller though to see what we can work out. That's a fantastic price for everything included.

Last edited:
When package says 0.030" for that motor you bore and hone to 3.530" ----Manufacturing today is different than 50 years ago.

We don't have any others around here that will do it. Apparently shops are terrified of a blind bore job.. I called around. It wasn't absolutely necessary but I offered and he said even better if I can drop them off.
Which doesn't really matter at this point if I can't find them.

Flyingscott the seller for that kit got back to me and will be able to source the pistons. Thanks for that info. It'll be nice to know that everything got replaced with new as well.

Just a quick update. Got to pulling the water jacket covers off the heads today (progress has been slow due to work) and the port side, where the ring broke, is bone dry. The starboard side was wet still. I'm thinking the port thermostat failed which led to an overheat on that side.
Gonna replace the temp senors while I'm in here at this point as well.

Make sure you replace the water diverters, even if they appear to be in place and in good condition. Ask me how I know.

Any reason to use gasket sealant on the bypass cover gaskets?
Manual doesn't say to, so probably a dumb question, but just curious.

Any reason to use gasket sealant on the bypass cover gaskets?
Manual doesn't say to, so probably a dumb question, but just curious.

Back