Logo

1992 Evinrude VRO 150 HP with Jet unit

TheBearAK

I'm wondering if anyone has some thoughts about this...

I have a 150 motor that is currently using the impeller that would normally go for a 90-140 class motor. 7-38" D cut (#1919) with the #1431 liner.

The proper impeller is the 7-3/8" SS V6 (#1738)

I'm guessing the V6 version is a deeper cut, but I'd like to know if anyone has ran both types and knows how much of a difference it really makes.

My guess is that it would pull/push more water due to the deeper cut, which in turn should get more efficient power out the back.

Got a reply back, pretty much what I guessed, but great to have confirmation:

----------------------
A 1738 would improve your holeshot and fuel economy.

Regards,

Luke O'Leary
Outboard Jets
Specialty MFG. CO.
2035 Edison Ave.
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 562-6049

Just a followup. I purchased the V6 cut of the impeller and it is quite different.

Took it for the first run of the summer today and I was really surprised at the difference being so much.

With the old 4 blade D-cut, 4500 RPM in an empty boat I would get about 24 MPH tops. WOT I could get about 29.
With the new 4 blade V6-cut, at 3500 RPM I'm getting 25 MPH. WOT I was hitting 32.

Going from idle to on step takes about 6' Boat gets a bit squirrelly above 25 mph when it is empty.

20' flat bottom Monark riverboat with ice-runners on every keel. Old boat has seen twin 65's, a 90 hp, and now this 150.

Just need to figure out why the Tach is messing up again. Works sometimes, sticks others. May have to put the old OEM tach back on.

Back