Logo

2006 Mercruiser 8.1 Horizon S MIE Single point drain question...

outobie

Regular Contributor
Hi all, I just changed out the sea water pump and found that the two hard plastic tubes (one white/ one green) that connect the single point drain schrader pump fitting to the sea water pump are pulled out of the water pump and just hanging there. (thanks Pleasure cove marina for more evidence of their crap work).

I tried to re-insert them but I couldn't figure out how to connect securely.

Question:

1. Are these designed to be disconnected and re-connected, or by them coming out are they ruined?
    1. what do I need to purchase to repair this?
  2. when you replace your impeller do you remove the whole pump or do most people disconnect the front and leave the back half part with these single point drains in place on the engine?
  3. there is a rubber tube on the top of this pump that doesn't seem to connect to anything...should it be connected somewhere?
thanks!

863674A04.jpg

it looks like the orange and grey collars on the fitting can be pressed in and out. to remove them the correct way are you supposed to press the collars in or pull the collars out?

The correct term for this kind of fitting is a "collet". These are used with both fluid and air on plastic (nylon) lines. To install or remove the plastic hose, you push in on it to relieve the grip of the connector. These have an o-ring seal. If you are replacing the whole plastic collet, then yes you can just yank it out. Otherwise, don't mess with it unless it is leaking.

so is it a one time use item then? in order to remove the water pump housing from the engine to service the impeller I need to disconnect those lines.

If I understand you properly, I push in on the tube then pull up on the collet to remove the line?

thanks

You push the tube in hold the collet down and pull the tube out.

Once you get everything back together. Take the blue hand pump and throw it into the trash can. If you use the drain system the Air valve has a high possibility of getting stuck open.....

Does the collet come out with the plastic pipe or remain in the fitting?

Right now the plastic pipe is pulled out of the collet on mine… can I run it this way since I don’t use that system anyhow or will sea water leak out?

Is this cause for concern? … the scoring on the end cap. Do I need to replace this? Do I replace the whole pump or just the stainless part?

The other half of the water pump; the half with the impeller is brand new

so I replaced the wear plate on the port engine water pump but had already installed the STBD water pump before I noticed there even was a wear plate. now I have a difference of 3 PSI water pressure showing on my smartcraft gauges. @ 3400 RPMs Port shows 13.5 PSI and 167 degrees, STBD shows 10.5 PSI and 170 Degrees.

do my water pressure readings seem good and would the 3 PSI delta be caused by a worn wear plate? I've already replaced almost everything else in the system...heat exchanger, hoses, exhaust manifolds, thermostat, water pump and impeller, changed antifreeze. the only other difference I can think of is that the port motor also is plumbed into the hot water heater, and I did find that the port motor's cool fuel water jacket was clogged and I cleaned out all the smelly sludge inside. Now the port motor seems to be burning more fuel than before...STBD used to use much more fuel than port...now they are equal

it's running great, even with a full load I did a WOT test and it spun up to 4700 RPM and 37 MPH, it idles properly and generally is doing what it should. the only thing that's different is that the temperatures do seem to fluctuate on the STBD motor...the last two seasons it stayed constant at 165 all the time. now it fluxuates between 167 and will jump up to 172 after coming off of plane and idling

Back