Logo

1997 35HP Johnson Won't idle, no power at full throttle

Smiffy6four

Hi Folks,

I just bought a 1997 pontoon boat with a 522cc, 35hp (J35QLEUR) outboard. It had been sitting for 2 years prior to purchase
I replaced all the fuel lines from the tank to the engine, flushed gas can, added clean, fresh premium fuel and some Seafoam.
I have removed carbs, cleaned them(rebuild kits on order, 1st set was incorrect), compressions are all at 130, plugs are new(Champions).
Starts, but dies almost instantly, managed to get running in gear once and it did about 4mph flat out.

I notice there is quite a large gap between the roller on the middle carb that the throttle actuates...is that normal?

I have ordered the factory manual. but it is 2 weeks out.

Thanks in advance for any insights :)

Last edited:
If the oil injection system is still hooked you should take it off and throw it away as far as you can.----Test spark.---It should jump a gap of 3/8" ( 1 cm ) on all 3 leads.----If it sat with fuel in the carburetors then high speed jets could be plugged.-----And a " new to you motor " should have a new water pump impeller installed too.

Oil injection was already deleted by someone else.

I'll double check the jets and spark after work. It revs up ok in neutral, but not under load.

I put in a new water pump and seals in the lower unit yesterday.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Last edited:
Spark test result not great; thin yellow sparks on all 3 cylinders.
I had the carbs off, jets look good. Pulled intake manifold, examined reed valves, the look like new, very clean and tight. Manifold gasket was definitely bad, changed it.
Doesn't run any better than before...

On the weekend, I got a new set of Champion plugs and a set of OEM wires, but still no improvement. I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of the service manual in the next day or two, so I can check timing and troubleshoot further.

Problem solved!

I finally got my hands on the factory manual. Seems the carb setup info in the Seloc manual is wrong in regards to the initial setting of the mixture screws. Their chart says 2 1/2 turns out, while the Johnson manual says 9.9 mm from carb body to underside of screw. Huge difference, maybe 3-4 more turns outwards.

Anyway, engine idles well now, was able to check timing and am now ready for a test/setup voyage.

I found another issue, seems the previous owner installed a new power pack, but had the firing order reversed. I put the boat in the lake, ran great for about 20 mins, then died and refuses to fire. Back to the drawing board....

Back