Logo

96 60hp merc boging down under load, won't go past 2100 rpms

Barleyruns

I'm new to this page but from reading everyone's post I believe someone on here could help me.
I have a 96 60hp mercury 2 stroke that bogs down and won't go over 2100 rpms in the water. It will rev out fine out of water. I have clean the carbs, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel ball, ran it out of a portable tank(just to rule out the fuel tank), checked all spark plugs and spark (all was good), replaced fuel filter, compression tested all cylinders (120 in all). Other things that have me stumped is that it will rev out in reverse fine.
The oil sensor wire is unplugged at the moment cause It needs a new module for the oil sensor but I didn't think that would have anything to do with it. I will take any and all advice I can get.

Last edited:
I'm new to this page but from reading everyone's post I believe someone on here could help me.
I have a 96 60hp mercury 2 stroke that bogs down and won't go over 2100 rpms in the water. It will rev out fine out of water. I have clean the carbs, replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel ball, ran it out of a portable tank(just to rule out the fuel tank), checked all spark plugs and spark (all was good), replaced fuel filter, compression tested all cylinders (120 in all). Other things that have me stumped is that it will rev out in reverse fine.
The oil sensor wire is unplugged at the moment cause It needs a new module for the oil sensor but I didn't think that would have anything to do with it. I will take any and all advice I can get.

Update, I have fixed the problem, the mechanic before me replaced the power pack and stator and switched the white wire with the white/black wire. Runs great now.

Back