Logo

Just a Couple of Questions for Mr Reeves

A

AlabamaRan

" Hey Joe,
First, thank you f

" Hey Joe,
First, thank you for freely sharing your vast knowledge with those of us with questions. Now, my first question: I have a 1970, 9.5 Johnson. I want to change the spark plugs in it. The ones in there are Champion J6. Are these right and what gap, and what would be the effect of putting in J8?

Second, where on the motor would I look for water discharge (a pee hole) when this motor runs? I cranked it in a garbage can and saw what I think was more exhaust than water discharging (just looked like a bunch of explosive bubbling, smoke, and stuff). Isn't there supposed to be a stream of water coming out somwhere? There seems to be two places on the very rear of the lower part of the motor, but I don't know if both are exhaust or if one should be a water outlet or inlet even. One is right above the prop and the other is farther up the motor right where the first "leg" below the powerhead connects to the lower unit. Both ports look identical and seem to be submerged when the motor is in the water. I just want to make sure water is circulating through this motor so I won't burn it up. Yea I know, sometimes we can seem almost dumber than dirt, but thanks for your help. "

"Alabama..... Your 1970 9.5hp

"Alabama..... Your 1970 9.5hp Johnson may use various s/plugs (Champion) such as: J4J, J6J, or J6C . The number (4 or 6) indicates the heat range. The "C" in the J6C s/plug idicates that the electrode is copper, which is supposed to last longer. When the engine was new (or rebuilt to new condition) I'd say to use the J4J s/plugs, however, if the engine hase some time on it, I'd recommend you use either the J6J or the J6C s/plug and regardless of which s/plug you use, set the gap at .030 . DO NOT use the J8 spark plug as that plug has too hot a heat range and will cause piston damage.

Your engine does not have the well known (small) water telltale water outlet. There will be some water discharged down through the inner exhaust chamber (between the powerhead and the lower unit) and out the exhaust outlet. The exhaust outlet is the opening you see just about the prop, at the back, and under the cavatation plate. The main area where water will exit is through the large rubber hose you see at the back of the powerhead which exits at the top rear area of the engine.

The water intake is the small rectangular plate that is attached to the lower unit with two (2) screws just above the cavatation plate on the port (left) side.

At the top of the cylinder head, there is a small plate/housing attached with three screws/bolts, under which is the thermostat. It might be a good idea to check to see if that's clogged with salt, or possibly even broken. Hope this has been of some help to you.

Joe
"

Back