Logo

91 Force 90hp loss of power and won’t plane out.

Mmulisha84

I just replaced the powerhead on this motor with a good one, the original owner had locked the motor up. Powerhead went in with no issues and ran great took it out on the water and it idled fine but when getting into the throttle it would shake and wouldn’t plane out. I called the pervious owner and he confirmed the last few times they took it out before the motor seized it was doing the same thing.
Compression is 136,120,138 I’ve cleaned the carbs already, static timing set to spec, I even played with timing on the water and nothing helped. Started looking into the stator because on the hose it was showing 14v but on the lake it was at 12.5 Service manual showed stator coils to be 600-800 I got a reading of 308 so I got a new CDI Electronics one. Little did I know the reading for the CDI brand was 300-500 and it already had a CDI brand one on it so long story short I replaced it for no reason.
I did a diode test on the regulator and it failed, but could the regulator be causing the shake and loss of power? At this point I can either keep digging or buy my brothers 90hp Johnson and just go with that. Obviously I’m invested into this Force already with the stator and powerhead.
What’s everyone’s opinions? I plan to call CDI Tech support tomorrow and see what they say.
list of things done are carbs cleaned, compression checked, spark verified on all 3 cylinders, timing set and checked, stator replaced.
Feel free to tell me to cut my losses and bolt the Johnson up lol.

Did CDI Tech support help?
Last time I called them they tried to sell me the info I needed :(

It sounds like a fuel supply or an air leak problem??

Start the motor, at idle spray starting fluid around the intake side of the motor.
If the SF makes any difference in the way it runs, then there's an air leak somewhere?
Are the carbs all opening at the same time?

Back