Logo

smoking Honda

hi guys I have a 2017 Honda bf250 and every scene I've had it it has smoked/steamed it looks like I'm on fire. its only when its foggy or overcast when the wind is blowing offshore and there is no moisture in the air it doesn't smoke,honda said its rings didn't seat right and rebuilt it last year but the problem still happens. I had a compression test done on it and all cylinders are normal. any suggestions?

So is it smoke or just water vapor ?----Normal to see that I would say.----How do other motor compare ?----Thermostats in good working order.

Blue smoke=oil (usually bad rings or leaking valve guides)

Black smoke=PARTIALLY burned fuel (rich condition)

White smoke isn't "smoke" at all...it's either raw, UNBURNED fuel vapor OR it is steam.

If you're seeing "white smoke" and it doesn't have a strong, acrid smell to it then it is likely steam or water vapor as racerone suggests.

Since the exhaust systems on marine engines, including outboards, are water cooled it's possible that this is normal under certain atmospheric conditions.

Excess steaming though could be a sign of something amiss in the exhaust piping OR a possible problem with the cylinder head.

You would think that an "overhaul" would have addressed the last two but it's possible something got overlooked like a crack in a head.

If it's not a "liveable" condition you don't have much choice but to follow up with Honda about it. You may want to ask if the cylinder heads were pressure tested during the teardown and, if so, were the results written down on the W.O.

There is a thing with cast aluminum engine components called "permeability" where the casting will come from the foundry and not be completely "solid".

When I was rebuilding automotive engines most machine shops would pressure test heads and blocks for rebuild purposes but only if requested and for an additional fee. Things may have changed quite a bit though since then.

I'm just giving you some ideas and sorry I can't be more specific but I have only seen the giant 250 but never touched one.

Good luck.

Back