Logo

69 9.5hp johnson shaft stuck in powerhead

tco7908

1969 9.5hp johnson. When I dropped lower unit to replace water pump impeller the shaft stayed in powerhead. How do I 1) get shaft to come out and 2) if it doesnt can I reverse engineer the pump and gear casing elements back together from the bottom.

1. Pray

2. It has been done. File a notch for the pin to pass through the water pump housing and put it back together in the reverse of the way it came apart.

3. Be aware that RUST is what's holding the drive shaft splines. There is no way of knowing when the rust will complete it's job of destroying the splines and there you will sit dead in the water. Maybe a year from now, maybe tomorrow.

Mix up some ATF and Acetone 50-50, turn the motor upside down and pour that down the drive shaft and let it soak for a few days. Then clamp a vice grip on the shaft and beat the hell out of it trying to remove the shaft.

Working on pulling powerhead. Taking my time and videoing disassembly. Tried just about everything before doing this but options didnt work. Have whole new lower end ready to go once shaft is out.

Yes I did. Now I have powerhead off and will try heating shaft after using more plaster deep creep for another 24hr soak. Very hopeful at this point

Wrap driveshaft with brass shim stock.------Clamp driveshaft in a hefty vice.------Put 2 pieces of.1/4 plate between block and the vice.----Use 2 correct length bolts and nuts use them as jacking screws.------Very powerful and controlled procedure.-----Extra hands / helper may be required to get it all set-up.

Thanks. That's pretty much in line with what I had in mind. Not totally worried about bending shaft as I have another lower unit w/shaft ready to go. Can do water tube as well.

The issue will be the condition of the spline in the crankshaft.---Driveshaft is stainless.----Crankshaft is carbon steel.----Rust / corrosion eats right into the metal.------Water soaks into the carbon steel.----Steel is much like a sponge for water.-----If you get it running the crankshaft spline may not last as it will be weakened.

The shaft has been exocerised from the powerhead. No damage no bend.
Thanks to all who gave me hope and methodology on how to get it done. I have plenty of time for reassembly. Will whatever needs to be replaced will be. Piece of cake, right.

All reassembled. Water tube in as well as lower unit. Changed out just about everything that even remotely looked bad. End result: IT RUNS, IT SHIFTS IT WORKS.
This job was not for the faint of heart. The videos I took during disassembly were invaluable. Thank you to all who gave tips and advice, you're awesome.

Back