Logo

Remote shift control is stiff

HarryL

I have a side mount Volvo Penta dual action remote control on my sailboat that has become harder to shift over the years, especially between reverse and neutral. The boat is a 2005 used seasonally in New England. There are no good part numbers on the shifter itself, just patent numbers. The problem seems to be more acute when the engine is running though there does seem to be some drag while I am diagnosing with the boat on the hard. I am trying to eliminate the transmission from the equation. Attached are two pictures of the control.

Is the circled set screw for a zerc fitting to lube the internal parts, or is this actually for adjusting the drag on the shifter. I don't detect much difference as I loosen or tighten it, so I doubt the latter. When I look in the socket after removing the screw it doesn't look like a void were grease should be put.

I've disconnected the Morse cables from the tranny and things seem about the same at the shifter. I guess I will next try removing the cables at the remote end though I think I have to remove the remote from the pedestal to get access to the cotter pins.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Harry
View attachment 26707
View attachment 26708

Ayuh,..... Use some spray grease on the controller,.....

If that don't help, it's my guess the cables need replacin',.....

Back