Logo

2000 Johnson 90 HP OceanPro Controls Issue

Deedah

I recently bought a pontoon boat with 2000 Johnson 90 HP OceanPro motor that runs great and has excellent similar compression on all cylinders. It had recently had new generic controls that were likely bought from Amazon installed. They work but are seemingly the wrong controls for the engine.

When I throttle forward it is smooth until last 90% of throttle then is very tight and EXTREMELY sensitive, no RPM gain until 90% and it gets tough to move....no way to FINE control throttle. I dont think it is tight cables going back to motor I almost feel like the controls are for wrong motor. Took them apart and cant find any model or part number but they were new. Also they are exactly the MFG available all over Amazon.

Any ideas or really I am fine buying used better quality controls if they were available.

Please help any suggestions and questions are welcome.

Aaron

if you think they are 'wrong' then buy something else....Amazon has a lot of junk for sale...they also have some decent products....caveat emptor...

no model number readily visible is a red flag on the quality checklist...

you can always disconnect the cables and see how engine controls work by themselves...and make a decision from there...

Back