Logo

Need a new fuel tank sender

pwskicat

Regular Contributor
Pictures attached are the no-longer-working sender from my 1995 Ski Sanger DLX 20. There are no manufacturer's marks of any kind on the sender. The Top plate diameter = 2.75". Swing arm is 3.75" from its pivot point to where it enters the float. The fuel tank is 7.25 inches deep. I've checked out a few sites and haven't found anything that looks like this. Sent a message to Moeller, to which they haven't replied. If anybody has experience with fuel senders, particularly one that looks like this, I'd appreciate a tip. Guesses of the "I knew a guy whose uncle had a buddy" variety probably won't be much help. Many thanks for any info provided.

IMG_20210419_114759569_HDR.jpgIMG_20210419_140256918.jpgIMG_20210419_140310797.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, bondo! I've seen a lot of the long-arm senders, but I'm concerned that a long arm could hang up on one of the tank baffles. As far as the gauge is concerned, I guess I could just buy a kit that included a new gauge.

The 'reed switch' styles have superseded the majority of the float arm styles for senders....match the resistance, the opening mounting holes, and the tank depth and you should be good to go...

Most have resistance of 35 Ohms-250 Ohms, IIRC. The one in the photo could be Moeller, Medallion or another brand, but you'll never know unless you clean the top of the plate.

Other than the color of the float, it looks a lot like the Medallion sender in my boat, which went bad from sitting without gas in the tank for 4 years.

Did you test the gauge by connecting the ground to the pink wire? If not, do it to prevent spending money on a sender that isn't needed.

Edit- in looking for a replacement for the sender in my boat, the resistance should be ~33 Ohms-240 Ohms.

I found a Sea Choice replacement at Great Lakes Skipper- it shows that it works for 6"-10" deep tanks.

Edit- in looking for a replacement for the sender in my boat, the resistance should be ~33 Ohms-240 Ohms.

I found a Sea Choice replacement at Great Lakes Skipper- it shows that it works for 6"-10" deep tanks.

Thanks for the info, but the arm on that sender is at least twice the length as long as the one I pulled from my boat. As the OP mentions, my ski boat tank has baffles to mitigate fuel starvation in sharp turns, and I'm concerned a long arm will get hung up in the tank. I put in the type in the attached photo, and I tested it outside the tank, sliding the ring up and down the shaft and watching the fuel gauge rise and fall accordingly. But once I put it in the tank, it would the fuel gauge needle would bounce all over whether the boat was in motion or at rest. Now I poke a stick in the tank after every few ski days on the lake, and that works fine.

There are no marks, manufacturer or otherwise, on the sender mounting plate. Thanks for the info, but the arm on the unit you show is twice as long as the sender I pulled the boat. The original post mentions my ski boat tank has baffles in it to mitigate fuel starvation in sharp turns. A long are would get hung up on a baffle. I bought one like the attached photo, testing it outside the tank first where it worked fine. But once installed, the fuel gauge needle swings wildly back and forth whether we're skiing or sitting still. The vendor would not take it back because it had been in gasoline. $60 down the drain. Now I put a stick in the tank every fuel ski days and that works fine.
Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 1.27.30 PM.png

Thanks for the info, but the arm on that sender is at least twice the length as long as the one I pulled from my boat. As the OP mentions, my ski boat tank has baffles to mitigate fuel starvation in sharp turns, and I'm concerned a long arm will get hung up in the tank. I put in the type in the attached photo, and I tested it outside the tank, sliding the ring up and down the shaft and watching the fuel gauge rise and fall accordingly. But once I put it in the tank, it would the fuel gauge needle would bounce all over whether the boat was in motion or at rest. Now I poke a stick in the tank after every few ski days on the lake, and that works fine.
If you read the instructions and details, it states 'custom application' that means, make it work.

The kind with a float are never consistent, neither are the ones with the arm.

What these tanks need is a chamber where the sender lives, but isn't affected by fuel sloshing. OTOH, the viscosity of gasoline makes it difficult. The only way to make the gauge react slower is with something like the old Medallion box with all of the sensors connected to it.

FWIW- I ordered one from NAPA and it should be at the store in a couple of hours. Roughly $30 + tax. The rods are much longer than I need but I have installed these before and as long as the arm moves through the whole range from empty to full, it will be fine.

Why couldn't you look for the same part number that's on the OEM sender?

Back