Logo

mercruiser 3.0 interchange help

Riccky3

Ok have a 1990 bayliner with a 3.0 with a cracked block, having trouble finding a similar used 3.0. i can find the mid 80'S 140 which i know is same block just alot looks different. and i heard flywheel and coupler changed somewhere in early 90's. anybody have experience putting a older engine in place ? did find a mid 90'S motor but guy said the wiring harness is different is this true ?

The flywheel and coupler changed in 1990 even though yours is a 90 it could go either way as the cut over isn’t 100 % on the year depending on how many are in the que.

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/3-0l-base-marine-engine-1967-current-replacement

In the bottom of the engine listing this outlines what you need to do to make a earlier engine work etc

on the later engine if you keep the ignition that’s on the engine they will have the same ten pin plug at the boat harness. Bottom line if you have a complete engine as a take out it should be plug and play

Ok have a 1990 bayliner with a 3.0 with a cracked block, having trouble finding a similar used 3.0. i can find the mid 80'S 140 which i know is same block just alot looks different. and i heard flywheel and coupler changed somewhere in early 90's. anybody have experience putting a older engine in place ? did find a mid 90'S motor but guy said the wiring harness is different is this true ?

Ayuh,..... Pull yer motor, 'n see whether it's the newer one piece rear main, or the older block,.....

Then buy another motor that matches yer block,.....

If an older, or newer, just swap all yer accessories over to the replacement, 'n everything will fit,.....
In other words, change out only the Long Block,.....

Back