Logo

J60TTLEO hard starting/idling rough

claunder

Hello all,
Have a 95’ Johnson 2 stroke still with VRO working. Model J60TTLEO. Engine has always been a little finicky getting started when cold but recently has gotten a lot worse. I’ve learned the cold start procedure which entails pushing the key in with fast idle level up and cranking. Motor seems to start consistently once warm. Also sounds a little rough at idle but I’ve never owned a 2 stroke before. I’ve taken the carbs apart and cleaned them. 120psi on all 3 cylinders. Replaced the fuel filter. Tested the solenoid/electric primer. I’m pretty sure the fuel system is okay and have started to look into the ignition system. Tested the coils with ohm meter and they are within spec. Tested the spark plug leads and they are within spec. Did a spark test by myself to try and get the spark plugs to jump a 7/16” gap and they did, but not consistently. 2/3 jumped the gap better than the latter. I’m starting to think I may have weak spark. Also to give you as much info as possible I’ve been using NGK equivalent to the recommended Champion spark plugs. Wasn’t sure if that would make a difference but also recently realized they were gapped to far. So I closed the gap to 0.03 as per spec. Not sure if I should start looking into the power pack or the stator and not sure what I would be looking for anyways.

Any help would be great,
Thanks guys

Those outboards in good condition start right up if using the correct procedure.-----They run really well too.-----So there is something wrong with the motor.----Agreed look into the spark issue.-----And does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block or the top of the engine block ?

Put new champion plugs in and gapped them properly. Seems to be starting consistently now. Still idling a bit rough tho. Wonder if that could be a timing issue

Does the tell tale ( water pump indicator ) come of the side of the block or off the top of the block ?

not sure exactly I’ll have to look tomorrow when I’m at the boat. When standing behind the boat looking at the back of the motor, the water pees out of the back right corner of the motor.

I guess I have to change the wording again.----Does this tell tale hose start on the side of the exhaust manifold ?---Does it come off the top of the engine block ?----I know where it pees into the lake.

Back