Logo

Question about Yamaha Fuel Pump

My boat uses this fuel pump. I have a question about it.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/442207.cfm

For testing, with it not bolted to the engine with the gasket, I squeezed the fuel line bulb and the fuel pump leaks. The leak seems to start in the area of where the bolts are supposed to go. I know with the bolt/washer one one side, and gasket on the other, the fuel can't get out that way once I bolt it to the motor. I know the middle one is for air, no fuel is coming out there.

I have 3 of these pumps by chance... all 3 do this. What the heck am I missing. I bolted it back to the engine and squeezed the bulb, didn't seem to leak anywhere. Still doesn't seem right to me, but after seeing 3 do it I'm wondering what to think is right.

What model motor?

No one ever wants to state the model of the motor. Is this some sort of top secret information?

------------

Yeah sorry about the 3 pump confusion. 1 is on my boat, 1 is my backup that I kept when i switched one out chasing a problem, and the third is one I borrowed from a friends boat.

It’s surprising to me that they leak like that but you’re right, when I bolt it down the leak stopped. I just didn’t want to create a potential fire hazard if I installed a bad pump.

thanks for the info! I’ll just put a new gasket that goes between the pump and motor, bolt it down, and check it over when it’s all back together

Back