Logo

6520 ignition

bspeth

Regular Contributor
7520,my mistakeLooks like the condenser wires have melted some and I may have routed the wires too high and too close to the flywheel. What concerns me is that it looks like the coil wires have begun to melt also,Id like your thoughts. Id rather spend the 60 bucks for new coils than row my boat back to the dock,so do I need new coils?Thanks!

Attachments

• 6520 1.jpg
    6520 1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 6520 2.jpg
    6520 2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6520 3.jpg
    6520 3.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 38
  • 6520 4.jpg
    6520 4.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Those 2 ground wires typically go to the other side.----And I have seen those wires melted either.----Everything looks OK.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?-----Site called----leroysramblings -----has good tutoring content on that simple magneto.

Last edited:
It was just time to clean points and check timing.Im a little comfused by your first two sentences,Racer.The other side of?Thanks

???----The ground wire ( black ) goes to the other side on every magneto like that in my collection.----It does not matter as far as working.----Every one I have see has those wires going to the other side.----Meant to say that I have never seen those wires melted.

Thanks for the clarification,so what do you think is going on with the heat buildup? I just dont want the melting to continue into being a problem where the wires break down. I was going to install a tuneup kit after seeing the melted wires,should I not get some new points and condensers in there?

I was thinking the heat was building up inside the flywheel for some reason,not in the wires themselves maybe? I keep the motor stored outside with a black contractor trash bag on it to keep out rain and dust,maybe that is causing enough heat to do damage but the green wires are fine so I dont think so.

??----Very puzzling that question.----There is a lot of study material on ----leroysrambling-----And other tutorials on this simple , universal magneto.----It was produced / installed for nearly 40 years ( on 1-1/2 to 40 HP ) and is a wonderfully simple and reliable unit.

Ive been to Leroys and read the entire site,but not in a while. I will criuse over there. It puzzled me that you have never seen this so I asked my dad who is not a mechanic,but an electrical engineer and he suggested that as a possible scenario.I agree with the reliability and simplicity and Ive tuned a ton of 6s ,I think this 7520 runs a bit better than the Fisherman when dialed in.

Now it has become a 7520.------The 7.5 HP marketed in 56 / 57 / 58 is indeed a sweet running motor if in good condition.----Idle so nice and smooth that you don't want to stop it.

I couldnt edit the title,but the first line of the first post was where I corrected myself.Agree,if you CAN stop it. When its tuned perfect it takes the choke to kill that one.It wont miss once in a whole day of fishing.

Back