Logo

2000 (ish) Mercury 175 EFI Bogging issue. Please help

Duke150

I have a 175 EFI on my boat that is intermittently bogging down on takeoff. It is on a Triton TR186 which has the fuel tank located under the top cap (not accessible)

Some background on the engine:

I bought the boat with what I thought was a 150 XR6. The guy told me the oil injection had gone out and he had to rebuild the engine and it was bored to a 175, at this point I had no suspicions and knew that was a common issue with the older 2 strokes.
Boat ran great and we made the deal. After taking the boat home, I realized the block was swapped with a 175 EFI (unknown year) so I do not have a SN to look up but I can eyeball that it is around a 2000-2004 EFI block.
Mixing oil/gas 50:1 in tank.

The issue:

The boat will run fine from the landing to the first fishing spot. After that, It will crank and idle fine but will bog down around 2500 rpm.

What I have done/ found:

I have checked the resistances in all 6 coils and leads which are all in spec.
New fuel line
New spark plugs
Low pressure fuel pump bolts were loose and was dripping gas out. Tightened it up and it ran fine for one trip but issue continued after a few hours of running.
Fuel/Water separator occasionally has trash in it, I suspect from either the tank or from the old liner fuel hose that was on the boat when I bought it.
I can hear the VST pump kick on when I turn the key.

Could this problem be trash in the VST/ Low pressure pump?
OR should I turn my attention towards the ignition system?

I am new to fixing my own outboards, so any help is appreciated!

Back