Logo

2011 Honda 135 ser#BASJ130000ish Overtemp alarm

cowboybrj81

First, I have read a multitude of posts on here about overtemp alarms and have followed many of the recommended solutions, but alas none have fixed the issue I am having with mine. I would greatly appreciate any help. First I will list the symptoms: A couple months ago, the alarms sounded (solid, engine went into limp mode then shutoff after 20 sec) when running at around 5000 RPM. After a break and restart it ran fine for awhile. Then it started happening at 4800, then 4600 then 4400 then 4000 RPM which is where I am at now, where after leaving the dock and running at around 4000 or greater for about a minute it happens. I can run the engine all day long at ~3800 RPM but then my top speed is only about 10 knots and I barely get on plane. I have not been able to get a good read on actual block temp but it does not appear to be drastically different than my other engine, a tad warmer but not scorching etc. Ok, so next is the corrective actions I have taken: 1) Checked intake is not blocked and cleaned the tell tale. 2) replaced water pump (the old one was just fine and probably didn't need it but replaced anyway) 3) replaced pressure relief valve 4) replaced 2xtemperature sensors on T-stat housing 5) replaced both T-stats. My plan of action is the following: 1) replace the temp sensors on the block and exhaust 2) swap ECUs and hang test (I hope this isn't the issue..$$) 3) Drop lower unit flush with water at the T-stat housing as best as possible. A major challenge I have is being located in the Marshall Islands where there is no real "shop" I can take it to so I am relying on all your armchair mechanic skills! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back