Logo

Neutral safety switch problem.

Mikey N.C.

Advanced Contributor
We hardly ever get tohatsu motors at shop. Customer brought in a 2001
40mod2. Key in remote turned to on position, if you move to forward or reverse you get buzzer. I've taken remote off and removed back cover to see neutral switch. Remote in neutral no alarm. I can manually push in button and alarm goes off. Problem is when motor is at idle and you move remote handle l get alarm(buzzer). My question is , when motor is running
what signals or grounds neutral safety switch. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS

Last edited:
What is the actual model? Isd it an M40D2? Full schematics are in the Factory service manual. Here is an exploded diagram of the RC box for the M40D2:
002-21024-4_RC5A_FIG03.jpg
The buzzer gets power from the 12v source at the RC box.

Yes red wire top right is + supply and green is -
When button is not pressed in red wire on side sends + to buzzer, that red sending wire is crimped together with a green coming from ignition switch , then to single red/ black wire to buzzer.

Well finally got thermostat and gasket and impeller in today, that customer wanted replaced. Because 1st owner had removed thermostat. Motor runs fine, good telltale as before. The neutral safety switch buzzer is my problem. Paul thanks for control box diagram. As said before we may get 1 of these motors a yr. I've eliminated oil tank float, ( unplugged green wire from float switch with motor running) . Where is temp. sensor on this motor, it has the threaded port on head and the port that uses a hold down tang. Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks. Or motor wire diagram. Thanks

Full info is on p 4-11 of the Factory service manual. The overheat sensor, if present, screws into the head and has a bullet connector on it.
You can dl the owners manual from tohatsu.com for free. Horn diags info is around p 81 or 82.

Finally got ignition switch with keys, the manual is full of . crap says only temp. sensor on sky blue wire or oil tank can throw solid alarm. And on some throw your motor into limp mode.
Ok. No temp sensor on motor. Sky/ blue is hanging in box. Please do tell what I think.

Back