Logo

Pivot Pin Remove.....I did it.

mchard

Hello All,

First timer to the forum. I've spent the last hour reading all the posts on removing the philips pivot pin on the lower unit. I did it last fall when I thought I was draining the oil. Here's the weird thing, I removed it and it went right back into the lower unit. This spring, I decided to look into what this screw was for and saw in the manual that I shouldn't remove it. Now that I know what it is, and that it is back in place, everything seems to shift okay.

How will I know that something isn't right? Would it shift at all? Is there a way to test it to make sure everything is still lined up? I don't want to take the screw back out and check if the hole is lined up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We're ready to hit the water, but thought I better check on this first.

Thanks
Marty

Hello All,

First timer to the forum. I've spent the last hour reading all the posts on removing the philips pivot pin on the lower unit. I did it last fall when I thought I was draining the oil. Here's the weird thing, I removed it and it went right back into the lower unit. This spring, I decided to look into what this screw was for and saw in the manual that I shouldn't remove it. Now that I know what it is, and that it is back in place, everything seems to shift okay.

How will I know that something isn't right? Would it shift at all? Is there a way to test it to make sure everything is still lined up? I don't want to take the screw back out and check if the hole is lined up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. We're ready to hit the water, but thought I better check on this first.

Thanks
Marty

If you put it straight back in before anything moves you will probably get away with it.

If it shifts OK you have almost certainly got away with it.

Dont overtighten but check that it does not come loose ( IIRC some are coated with a thread locker when new)

Last edited:
I unfortunately did this last night when changing lower unit oil on my 1976 40Hp Evinrude. As soon as I pulled it I remembered but it was too late. How do I get it back in?

Grind or file the end of the pin to a chisel shape. Now insert the pin and push lightly while slowly rotating it. The point should enter and align the mis-aligned holes and slide on in. If it does, you are good to go.

Grind or file the end of the pin to a chisel shape. Now insert the pin and push lightly while slowly rotating it. The point should enter and align the mis-aligned holes and slide on in. If it does, you are good to go.

Thanks! I'll give it a go. I could get it aligned with a pick but couldn't get it to stay in place long enough to get the bolt in.

Back