Logo

Honda BF130 intermittent rough idle/misfiring issue

newbernbuck

I have a 2000 BF130 on a 24 foot down east style boat. I'm new to Honda outboards, this motor sat unused for probably 8 years before I got it.
I replaced the fuel filters, plugs, oil, etc. and motor runs well in most cases. On random occasions if running at low speeds motor will start to stumble and eventually die. I can then restart motor and all is fine. Then sometimes when running at higher speeds 3500-4000 rpms motor will start missing and barely can keep at 2000 rpms. Can turn off motor and restart and all is fine again. My feeling this is ignition related and not fuel related. I've pulled plugs and they are clean not black at all. Thanks and advise appreciated.

Having sat for 8 years I would start with an injector clean since you've done the service items.

Thanks for the advise.

After cleaning injectors it does seem to run better overall. I've had no other problems with running at higher rpm's.
But still often when running at lower rpm's (1000-1500) for say 5-10 minutes or more engine will not rev higher again without missing/surging. Turning engine ignition off and then back on all is then fine again. As long as it always starts back up guess I should be happy.

Back