Logo

Swapping out powerhead for a 1988 25hp Johnson

petev

I have a bad power head on my 1988 Johnson 25 hp J25TECCA. Both cylinders are scared beyond the point of making it worth rebuilding. My question is, in looking for a replacement powerhead, what years of 25HP powerheads are compatible with my J25TECCA?

Thanks in advance!

You have many options. All of the two cylinder Johnson or Evinrude, 20 hp, 25 hp, 30 hp powerheads from about 1979 to 2000 or so, (plus the 35 hp from 1979 to 1985, when the HP rating changed from driveshaft to propshaft)(making the 35 a 30 hp).These powerheads will all interchange. While there are some minor differences, mostly in the parts bolted to the engine block, to modify hp to what is rated, (heads, intake manifold, reed stop differences, carburetor venturi size changes, etc), plus a very few internal tweaks to make starting easier or tweak mid rpm operation, the basic engines are virtually identical, are interchangeable and can be modified up or down in power with stock parts. These 31.5 cu inch motors are as tough as they come.

Last edited:
You have many options. All of the two cylinder Johnson or Evinrude, 20 hp, 25 hp, 30 hp powerheads from about 1979 to 2000 or so, (plus the 35 hp from 1979 to 1985, when the HP rating changed from driveshaft to propshaft)(making the 35 a 30 hp).These powerheads will all interchange. While there are some minor differences, mostly in the parts bolted to the engine block, to modify hp to what is rated, (heads, intake manifold, reed stop differences, carburetor venturi size changes, etc), plus a very few internal tweaks to make starting easier or tweak mid rpm operation, the basic engines are virtually identical, are interchangeable and can be modified up or down in power with stock parts. These 31.5 cu inch motors are as tough as they come.

Great, thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

Back