Logo

Evinrude 70 HP - revs going crazy

miki007s

Hello,

I have an outboard 2-stroke engine Evinrude (y. 1997, BE70TLEUM).
I must say it's a good old one, running so far without any issues but lately I'm noticing this.

When my boat is in water and I set with remote control for example 3000 rpm but then after a few seconds it starts to increase revs by itself. It goes up almost up to 3800 rpm. Sometimes it can be opposite - rpms are decreasing down to 2000 rpm. No matter what - I am struggling up and down with remote stick to find a safe spot where revs might be stable. And also it doesn't matter if engine is "cold" or "hot".
What do you thing is causing this? Should I focus on fuel pump (it is VRO), carburetor, etc?

Thank You.

BR from Slovenia

Please post what other things you have checked.----No time to list all the possible issues here !!!

Of course. But I'm an amateur.
I had my mechanic for servicing this engine but he sadly past away and authorized dealers here are charging sky high.
I've checked fuel, primer solenoid, checked all hoses of fuel and oil for leaking, the state of metal wires from control box to the engine (control lever remains at the same position all the time), got new spark plugs, new fuel filter.

That's about it. I hope it is understandable enough. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

Run with timing light hooked up .----One plug at a time see if spark changes.------Or run with airbox cover removed.----Use strong flashlight.-----Compare fuel coming up main nozzles.

Back