Logo

Is this a possibility? Alpha one

TheRubberDuck

I don't know boats/engines/sterndrives so tell me if I'm an idiot or if this is possible please.
So, i incorrectly installed my lower unit. The gears are not aligned properly so the prop is clicking both ways when turned by hand. Anyway I tried to start the boat for the first time since fall 2017. (Mercruiser alpha one gen 1). The shifter was way, way tighter due to the misaligned shift gear, i assume. So, it tried to start it and got one "engine turn with combustion" then nothing. I tried priming it by pumping the throttle twice and it ran for about 2 or 3 seconds but I turned the ignition off at that moment (long story). I spent hours trying to get combustion after that with nothing. WHAT IM WONDERING IS:*is it possible that the forceful pumping of the throttle triggered the 'shift interrupter switch' and that is why my engine will readily turn over but I'm getting absolutely no combustion? Keep in mind I'm starting it in neutral and not playing with the throttle. Is that even a thing?* I'm clueless. Please advise.

FYI: new fuel, new fuel/water separator filled with fuel. And I've been advised to NOT TRY STARTING IT until I get the lower unit and gears properly aligned but I'd like a diagnosis before I get back to it next weekend. Thanks*

Back