Logo

No spark

Gale H

I just bought a 1969 Glasspar Citation 16ft boat with a 1964 75 hp Johnson outboard. It had Ben sitting for several years in a barn, they had winterized it when they stored it. I was having trouble with the starter so I have replaced the ignition, the starter solenoid, and the coil and coil wire to the distributor and the plugs. Now it turns over fine starter works great. We show only around 3 amps into the coil with the key turned to on, when we try to tart it there is no spark to the plugs. Can anyone give me any ideas what to try next?

Last edited:
Dunno, I've never checked the amps going into the coil. Anyhoo, first thing I'd do is check the breaker points. Polish them up shiny bright and set the gaps to 0.020" at their widest opening.

Welcome. Been in Mt Vernon. Nice spot. If your going to get things right, you should check compression and also make sure water pump impeller is in water when cranking. Might want to change that anyway. Be sure to flush gas from fuel feed lines as it's gonna be pretty stale and could contaminate the fuel pump and carbs. Spark should jump a strong 3/8" gap.
If you haven't already, you should introduce some mixed gas to the cylinders to limber things up. Be sure to get rid of any gas fumes when testing for spark.

Last edited:
Back