Logo

Gearshift detent problem Nissan 6 HP - hard to find neutral

Captain Nemo

Hi All,
First timer here. I have an early 1990s Nissan 6 HP (NSF6C 3JE-1, serial # 064048AA).
It's in good condition and runs well. But the gearshift is kinda sloppy, as if the detents are worn. Hard to tell the difference between neutral and reverse, requires annoying trial and error when starting. I've lubricated the external parts of the linkage, but haven't opened anything up yet. I don't know where the detent mechanism is. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Yes, that is correct. Is yours missing? Any Tohatsu dealer (including me) can help you with parts.

Yes, that is correct. Is yours missing? Any Tohatsu dealer (including me) can help you with parts.

Am struggling with how to disconnect lower end of linkage 34 from item 30 - without breaking the little plastic retainer clip.?

Also, item 30 seems to be held in place securely, how do I get it out? (It has a female threaded end, do I put a bolt in there and pull on it?)

I have experience as an amateur mechanic, but this is my first time working on an outboard..
THANKS!

Of course, full detail is in the Factory service manual. These midsections are identical to the old 2 strokers. You do need to pull the power head to get in there. Notice that the shaft extends inside. Whenever I do there, I get 2 new o-rings and grease the shaft. If needed, you can pull clevis 35 and leave that rod attached.

Back