Logo

2006 Bayliner 225 fuel pump wiring issues

JBojan

I bought this boat used, took it for a test drive (everything worked), and now I'm pulling my hair out:

OK; more details: Bayliner 225.
Mercruiser 5.7 L engine
Electric fuel pump, two barrel carb.

This morning, I was getting 12V at the oil pressure switch, nothing at the fuel pump. I supplied the fuel pump with 12V, 5 Amp, and the boat ran. Pulled the oil pressure switch, had no continuity across the leads. Supplied 40 PSI from an air compressor, still no continuity.

Replaced the pressure switch.

Cranked the engine and a purple wire started smoking. Stopped. Found a break in the wire and butt spliced it. Cranked the engine and the boat ran for about 5 minutes. Gave it gas and it died. From there on, no more gas from the fuel pump. I was too pissed off to go further. I know I need to re-do the trouble shooting from this morning, but am I looking at the pressure switch correctly? Is there something else I should look at? Seems like a lot of Amps going through all this small gauge wire.

A little more history: I got this boat home and changed the oil and fuel filter. Oil change was horrible; filter would not screw out. I ended up using a chisel on the filter to get it to turn. I get that I could have damaged the oil pressure switch. Seemed like a likely thing to replace. Also the starter went bad between my test drive and getting the boat on the lake.

Had that problem with the low pressure pump in my Ranger truck. The pump motor was shorting out and it burnt up the wiring.

Jeff

Back