Logo

Crusader 8.1 - no start or click

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I’m getting really close to splashing my boat with my new/rebuilt 8.1’s. Out of the blue, my port engine will not start. Ignition switch forward, gauges light up but not even a click. I’ve gone through these top/bottom and started each one at least 15 times now. Starting to backtrack what I’ve done so far. My immediate question is regarding the starter solenoid. I jumped the battery/starter wire to the solenoid wire and it cranked over. Could the solenoid still be bad or does that rule out a bad solenoid?

At the helm, I jumped the IGN switch over to the other engine and it started so I know the switch is good. Then, with my powerprobe, I checked pin #5 (IGN) on the 10 pin connector which plugs into the engine harness. I get switched 12v+ when the IGN is moved to the start position (and same at the solenoid). I checked the fuses, good and disconnected the shifter cable in case it was something related to the neutral safety switch. Voltage is near 13v all around.

Since I don’t even get a click, it seems like it could be the solenoid but I’m not sure if my jumper test takes that off the table.

As an aside, I had my ECM on this same engine out last week because it has no output at terminal (27?) which is for the MIL/CEL. It's definitely the ECU, I swapped in my spare and the light turned off (which is the issue, constant light but no codes). I have a spare ECU, the other engine had no tach output which was fixed with a new one. I know I did a quick test start afterwards and would think if there was anything ECU/harness related, it would at least turn over (maybe not start, etc.). Is that a safe assumption? I swapped the spare in and tried to start, same thing.

thanks
Bob

Last edited:
I
slave solenoid's ground...or slave solenoid itself...would be my guess

Mark, the "slave" solenoid isn't the same as the starter solenoid is it? I think you mean the "starter solenoid relay" I just found a pic of that online. Ok, sounds like it's likely one of these two, thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, I’m hoping I ruled out a few things. I flipped the IGN to on and then jumped
the starter solenoid to the started and it fired right up. Does this point to starter solenoid or could it be the slave solenoid?

I just asked a mechanic in my yard about the solenoid. He said that if it starts when I jump the starter solenoid to starter, that means the starter solenoid is good. Most likely the starter slave solenoid is the issue.

Do you guys agree? They’re cheap enough, probably not the worst idea to have a spare on board especially if this one is bad.

Bob

Sorry for the lag in replying...I got the opportunity to go camping/fishing for the weekend and couldn't say no...

if you jump the starter's solenoid and things work, then those parts are likely A-O-K.

If you have +12 volts on the START terminal with the key in the START position, that infers the key switch is ok...I prefer to use a test light with a bulb that will ensure the circuit will pass at least 1 amp...

The only thing left if those two check A-O-K is the starter solenoid...and they come in two basic varieties...a 'common' ground, thru the mounting ears, or a dedicated ground terminal...sometimes the solenoid fails, sometimes is just a bad ground...

Sorry for the lag in replying...I got the opportunity to go camping/fishing for the weekend and couldn't say no...

if you jump the starter's solenoid and things work, then those parts are likely A-O-K.

If you have +12 volts on the START terminal with the key in the START position, that infers the key switch is ok...I prefer to use a test light with a bulb that will ensure the circuit will pass at least 1 amp...

The only thing left if those two check A-O-K is the starter solenoid...and they come in two basic varieties...a 'common' ground, thru the mounting ears, or a dedicated ground terminal...sometimes the solenoid fails, sometimes is just a bad ground...

Mark, no apology necessary. I can’t expect you to be on standby when I have a problem! I’m going to do some testing this afternoon. I’m hoping to get it in the water this week. After all of this work, I can’t believe I have a no start condition. My first ever in boating!

Just to close this out, it was a bad neutral safety switch. The shifter was the 1st thing I checked because the symptoms were exactly what you would get with the engine in gear.

What I didn’t realize was that I bypassed the switch by jumping the starter and starter solenoid. If I checked the switch 1st, I could have just connected the two wires. No harm done, I have an extra slave solenoid on board now along with an extra neutral safety switch.

Back