Logo

Simple Question

scott53594

This is related to the stator problem....No where can I find the voltage or any information about the two yellow wires coming from the stator to the regulator rectifier on my 99 50 hp Johnson. I have 12 volts on each one.....is that right.

So where are you measuring the voltage? Yellow to yellow? Yellow to ground? ACV? DCV? Actually, it doesn't much matter after reading your previous post. The yellow wires recharge the battery and have nothing to do with your ignition problem.

I have the yellow wires removed from the regulator rectifier and I am measuring voltage d/c voltage from those terminals to ground and I have 12 volts on both

Motor running / not running ?----What ohms do you get on yellow wires to the stator ?---What is your motor doing / not doing ?

Motor running / not running ?----What ohms do you get on yellow wires to the stator ?---What is your motor doing / not doing ?

Not running...I get 006 on my ohm meter and 165 vac across the brown and brown and yellow wire while cranking. And there should be 230

Last edited:
It was running like a dream and I lost one cyl. I found the top cyl lost spark. While checking it out it quit all together. Following troubleshooting I found I only had 165 volts at the brown and brown and yellow wire in the 5 pin plug. I should have 230.I pulled the flywheel and found one of the coil wires had worked it's way between the coil and flywheel. It was an easy fix so I reinstalled it. I still only have 165 volts.

I have the yellow wires removed from the regulator rectifier and I am measuring voltage d/c voltage from those terminals to ground and I have 12 volts on both

Meaningless. Well actually I would expect to see zero. I'd have to ponder on that awhile.

All of these replies are welcome and helpful. I know I have a bad stator....what I want to know is the ignition on, non running, non cranking voltage on the two terminals that the yellow wires that come from the stator connect to on the regulator rectifier. I have 12 volts DC on each one and it seems strange to me. I would think only one would have voltage.

The 2 yellow wires are for charging the battery.----There should be no voltage on them with motor not running.-----The brown wires are part of the ignition system that produces spark for the sparkplugs.----And no , 12 volts from a battery are not needed to make spark.----The motor can be started with a rope should the battery be completely dead !

So your question concerns the yellow rectifier wires, not the yellow wires from the stator? Yes, battery voltage should be present there.

Back