Logo

Oil cooler fit issue!

805HD

Regular Contributor
So I’m assembling a new engine for the boat.

Gen4 454

1987 cobalt with alpha1 drive

I Just realized this block has a “shallow lip” where the adapter goes. Meaning it’s not deep enough to seat the adapter for the remote oil filter. I’m assuming this is just a difference between blocks and generations of Chevy big blocks. Or I’m just REALLY missing something here!

question, is there a specific remote adapter I need to use or do I just forego the oil cooler and call it a day?

thanks for the link! Wonder how much cooling that oil cooler actually does..
Enough. Since marine engines don't get large volumes of air flowing around the outside, any means to remove heat is beneficial. To put a finer point on it, just imagine the difference between your bare hand in 40 degree F air versus your bare hand in 40 degree F water. The water feels much much colder because the water transfers heat far more rapidly than air. The oil cooler may not look like much but it has plenty of surface area to take heat out of the oil that's circulating inside.

Was actually able to modify the adapter to fit.. just machined off the lip. Good to go! Oil cooler will be full function! Thanks for the info gents...

Back