Logo

Stator problems

scott53594

I have a 99 50 hp johnson I put a stator on last season for running problems. it ran like a dream. This year I put a new deck, floor and new furniture on my pontoon. I ran it in the drive way when done and boy it ran great. I got it half way home and lost one cyl. while I was troubleshooting, it would not run at all. Well testing showed the stator was the problem. I popped the flywheel off and found a coil wire had worked its way over the coil and got between the flywheel and coil. Here is the reason for my post. I didn't get to the coil test in troubleshooting....the charge coil was only putting out 165 volts and it should be 230 or better. I repaired the wire as it was a simple repair and tested it. I reinstalled it and I had the same problem. Only 165 volts. I started to wonder about the two yellow wires that go from the regulator rectifier to the stator. I checked the voltage and they both have 12 volts... is that right.

Well the new stator came today and was installed. I hooked everything up and no start and no spark. checked the brown and brown and yellow wires and I had 165 volts ac Same as before. Trouble shooting tells me it should be 230 or better. Is that correct or am I not reading properly

Well----New parts and still no good.-----I would start with charging the battery.----Then have the battery load tested ( even if it is a new one ! )-----Then take the starter apart for inspection, new brushes ( $6.00 here at home ) and ohm test on the armature.----Testing costs nothing and will save you those beer tokens !

No....I retested them. I removed the flywheel and pulled the trigger. I inspected it and performed a continuity test while wiggling the wires....all is ok. I checked the power pack and I have continuity between the white wire and ground.

Compression is 150 lbs on each cylinder. My numbers are coming from the seloc online manual. And yes I did a spark test...that's how I know I don't have any spark.

Compression is 150 lbs on each cylinder. My numbers are coming from the seloc online manual. And yes I did a spark test...that's how I know I don't have any spark.
Well throw the seloc away and get a proper factory Manual. Did you do a DVA test that is the correct test for the power pack.

Back