Logo

5 HP Tohatsu Stalling issues

OneCaratRed

This spring, when I tried to use my 5 HP Tohatsu 4 Stroke kicker, it will start with the choke out as it always has, and then continue to run as long as the choke is out.. When at idle throttle setting (trolling) it will continue to run UNTIL CHOKE eventually goes all the way in.. then it stalls.. Have ruled out bad fuel as this motor is fed from same filter/separator as main engine.. has new internal fuel filter in motor.. where to start troubleshooting this issue is the question? Fuel line? Fuel Bulb? Orings in motor connection..or is it even a fuel question.. Ideas??

Start by cleaning everything, especially the carburetor. Properly, in carb dip, then blowing out with generic carb spray.

Start by cleaning everything, especially the carburetor. Properly, in carb dip, then blowing out with generic carb spray.
Excellent call... watched carb clean video on utube.. got carb cleaner and went to work..wasn't real dirty BUT did notice some gummy substance around bowl gasket.. cleaned i9r, checked gasket and reinstalled.. additionally I applied a small dab of grease on the male fuel line connections to seal possible oring leak.. connected flusher, started and now idles with o choke at all.. been running for an hour so.... back to fishing Thanks

Glad it worked out. In the future, be sure to either idle the carb dry, or drain it to prevent any residual fuel from crudding up the small passages in the carb.

Back