Logo

Need advice re replacing rectifier with regulator/rectifier on '89 70 hp

doryman

I need to add a regulator to the system to help battery life. It is not uncommon to run my motor 8 to 16 hours in a day, resulting in batteries that seldom see a third season due to overcharging. I have a couple of used regulator/rectifiers, one is the unit from a '92 J/E 70 hp parts motor that may or may not function. this is a five wire unit with a gray and a purple wire in addition to the two yellows and one red wire. The seal where the wires enter the unit appears compromised, though I see no indication of water entry. I also have a unit, Sierra I think, that I used to replace the rectifier on a 60 hp Merc a few years back. The well used Merc died after one season, so I salvaged the regulator. It should be good. It is a four wire unit with a gray wire in addition to the two yellows and the red....My service manual is specific to the ELCE and TLCE 70's, plus the same vintage 60's and 65's and lack the information I need. A couple years later the regulator/rectifiers became standard equipment. This has been an excellent service manual. I believe that I got it here, from MarineEngine. I did look for updates and later information for this fine service manual and it seems no longer available. :( Anyway If one or more of the Tech's here can help me, I would appreciate it. I have two new heavy duty starting batteries to start the season and would like to feed them well regulated charge power...

Thanks, In fact, I stumbled across that this morning. Perfect solution and very reasonably priced. What reviews I found are all good as well. The elegant solution, though I'll still be adding a heatsink mount.

Back