Logo

HELP Mercury 2013 100hp EFI very hard to start.

Aalnes

Hi, the last 6 months my motor has been really hard to start. It cranks perfectly. It start randomly after 2sec crank or all day with cranking or not at all..
when it starts I can stop the motor emmediately and it start right up again. When I got the "first" start of the day, I can use the boat all day long with no problem, motor is running perfectly with out any hicups. but when I stop the motor for the day, and next morning it is not starting again.. I have found out it is after aprox 8hrs with out use it acts like this..

most time when cranking there is a continues beep in buzzer . and when motor has been runned, when stopping, the RPM on the gauge is stuck at aprox 800rpm. and goes to 0 when ignition swich is swiched back to ON. No alarms on my mercury smartcraft app

after much troubleshooting it has ended up with this, When cranking with out start. No 5v to fuel injector and coils... but after cranking,turn of ignition,cranking,turn of ignition and after some atemps it starts.. so the 5v is getting back some times since it starts. but cant find out what is causing it.

Mercury dealership has had it in and troubleshooted and the only fault appering on diagnose tool is lack/disappears of 5v when cranking.
They changed starter since high draining of volts when cranking. same problem with new starter. (also new battery) volts has been dropping from 12.6 down to 11 and further down. and it seems normal to me since it cranking and cranking.

So Im down to two theorys. Defect diode in ECU causing ECU to loose voltage when cranking. (startmotor tapping voltage over ECU)
Defect Dynamo/regulator/de-magnetizing since rpm signal comes from regulator if I have understood it correctly .

Cant fint anything about this in other forums,so any help is appreciated!!!!!! and also, Sorry for bad english :D

what has been done after months with troubleshooting before it has been nerrowed down to voltage loss:
fuel pressure has been checked, sparksplugs checked(with new also), cam sensor triggering. fuel FSM checked( High and low pressure pump. check of defect vacum hose in FSM. All good
New battery. checked with 2 different battery(NEW ones redtop optima 850cca)
mounted the battery on deck and pulled new cables direct to 12V isolator. new starter

Did they tell you what the fuel pressure test showed? How many psi or pascals? Did they test with the initial starting attempt, and not after it had been running?

Aprox 3bar when cranking. Pretty sure the injector is not opening.
Dry sparkplugs and no spark due to voltage. It dosnt look like it is a mechanical failure in my eyes.

Back