Logo

Anyone familiar with Mercury's (VW) 4.2 TDI engines

sundancer

Hello,

We'll I purchased my first Diesel boat. Carver C37 with twin 4.2 TDI engines. Now I am finding a difficult time getting a mechanic to work on them when the time comes. Seems like these VW engines are more popular outside the US.

Any thoughts on the reliability of these.

Thanks,
Tony

As with all electronic engines, you probably have to use a Mercury dealer mechanic for any issue with sensors and timing. Test equipment is probably proprietary. It's not a stock car engine with marine components. The timing chain moved from the engine front to the back for better timing of the cam and fuel. The turbos boost and activation sequence is different, too.
As long as the engine remains in the Mercury lineup, parts and service should be no problem. But it's not like you can go to VW for service and parts.
Reliability? You have twins, so hopefully you can get back to the dock on one. I spend my time on the ocean, and won't own an electronically controlled diesel. All my engines are 100% mechanical. No electronics, no sensors, and once started have no need of electricity.

if you local Mercruiser shop can't won't help, ask them to get you connected with the regional service rep...they can help get you connected to a shop that can service your engines...the diesel side of Mercruiser has been dynamic so keep your eyes out for changes...

Back