Logo

1971 Mercontrol aftermarket replacements

Fabuglasser

Hi all,

I’m in the process of restoring a pretty neglected Fabuglas 16ft with a merc 500 thunderbolt 50hp outboard. I’ve started to dig into the control box(Mercontrol) because the throttle advance is anything but smooth and the cable doesn’t even seem to be moving the engine side anyway. (New throttle cable on the way.)

Anyway, As I’m taking apart the Mercontrol box the rolling pin that keeps the stick in neutral goes flying overboard in my yard never to be seen again. I looked for several hours with no luck.

looking at the rest of the box almost all the wires are heavily corroded and there was significant shavings trapped inside.

I was wondering if anyone here knew of a suitable replacement control box that doesn’t break the bank.

Thanks for reading.

PS the throttle cable linkage is pretty hard to get to with the bottom cowling on, are you supposed to be able to remove it with the cowling on or does it need to be removed?

There is a little locking lever that needs to be flipped over.---That releases the trunnions.----No need (impossible ) to remove lower cowling with taking the whole motor apart.

Back