Logo

What are the consequences of putting a 40 hp on my 14' valco?

Mr smiles

I've been running my 14' aluminum with a 25 hp. prop motor and a 35hp jet pump. I now have a line on a 40hp that fits my budget, but not sure if it would be ok on my little Valco. If I can offset the additional 75 pounds, are there other issues that I should be aware of?

Think it's 25 max. Gonna be too much power and as Phil said....could lead to troubles. If you ever have a claim, they may not cover you. I have twin 25's on my 16' but no one else operates it but me. What's insurance? Knowing what's safe, knowing what's not, holding yourself responsible for your own actions, and lastly.....having enough money to pay the law enforcement fine.

In all my years with small fishing boats and outboards pushing the rating, only been checked once for motor size. He just gave me a warning. Only 5 horsepower over on an 18' Alumarine. Rated for 50 and had 2 15's and 1 25 horse......good thing he didn't weight my load.....ha!

Agreed likely nobody will ever check you; even if you were stopped by the Coast Guard I doubt they would bother. The only real issues as far as I can see are insurance and legal liability. If anyone ever got hurt an attorney would have a field day.

Back