Logo

Do the BF 75 and BF 15 have sacrificial anodes inside the engine?

23sailor

I see internal anodes (zincs) in the manuals of several of the Honda outboards. Do the smaller outboards also have them? I've been trying to clear the cooling systems of salt and crud in two units that I own, and have not run into any sort of anode in my explorations. Any help with this? Thank you all so much. Gleno

To my knowledge the 7.5 twins don't have any internal zincs.

But most, if not all, BF15's have one under the intake manifold.
See item 1 in the link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-range/15hp/bf15ah-las-pre-1997/thermostat-in

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your help here. Little things like that can easily go missed. Maybe I missed it because it wasn't there anymore, which means problems ahead. I'll fix it immediately, and see if the 7.5 Hp has one hiding somewhere. Thanks again, Glen

I forgot to mention that the screw that secures the zinc should be ordered and replaced too as it usually deteriorates and will sieze. But if you're correct that the zinc is gone then that's already happened.

Hopefully you get lucky and find someone took it out and forgot to put it back...you know..."hey, here's an EXTRA part I don't need"!

If you have to drill that screw out, I like to use a "gouger" in my Dremel called RESCUE BIT. Kind of like "voodoo magic" for removing broken off screws and bolts.They are expensive bits but will last several jobs IF you follow the company's instructions. If you don't use them as instructed you will damage and ruin the bit straight away.

Good luck with your projects!

Back